Friday, February 27, 2015

Hike #11: Upper McLeay Park

Trailhead: Upper Macleay


Companions: Tumalo

Trails hiked on: Upper McLeay Trail, McLeay Trail and Wildwood Trail

Miles hiked: 1.6 miles (50 minutes)

Unique miles hiked: 1.6 miles

Total challenge miles: 22.7 miles

Weather: Sun and giant puffy clouds

Amenities: There is a parking area quite off the road across Cornell and a crosswalk. No other amenities but it's less than a mile uphill to the Pittock Mansion!

Notes:

I absolutely love this trail. Above Cornell Road there are is a warren of trails on the hill below Pittock Mansion. You get some beautiful vistas between the trees and there are always interesting tidbits in the forest floor. There are a couple loops or spurs you can take off the Wildwood to change up the hike from the same trail head.

Today, I took the first trail to the right after the crosswalk, the Upper McLeay Trail. It is early spring so the first green forbes are poking out of the forest duff.  At the major intersection after half a mile I continued on the same trail until it met the neighborhood street. I took the McLeay trail back to the Wildwood Trail, enjoying the beautiful downed logs and red currant blossoms! As I headed back down the Wildwood trail to my car I saw this crazy mushroom. What tha fungus?? What a beautiful forest to visit  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment